Essure is a surgery-free permanent birth control procedure that works with your body to create a natural barrier to prevent pregnancy. The Essure procedure offers benefits that no other birth control can.
- Surgery-free—A quick procedure performed in your doctor’s office
- Hormone-free—A more natural birth control method with no hormonal side effects
- No slowing down to recover—Most women return to normal activities in less than a day
- Proven—Over 600,000 women and their doctors trust Essure as the most effective* permanent birth control method
- Worry-free—Because your doctor will confirm that your tubes are blocked, you don’t have to worry about unplanned pregnancy and the hassles of temporary birth control again
The Essure procedure was designed with you in mind so you won’t need to take time away from your busy life. During this quick procedure, a doctor places the soft, flexible Essure inserts into your fallopian tubes through the natural pathways of your vagina and cervix, so no incision is necessary. The inserts are made of the same material that is used and proven safe in heart stents and other medical devices.
Over the next three months, your body works with the inserts to form a natural barrier in your fallopian tubes. This barrier prevents sperm from reaching the egg so that pregnancy cannot occur. During this three-month period, you must continue to use another form of birth control.
To provide you with the confidence that you are protected from unplanned pregnancy, you’ll have an Essure Confirmation Test. This test verifies that the inserts are in place and your fallopian tubes are fully blocked.
Essure is covered by major health insurance providers, including Medicaid.
Once you have Essure, you’ll never have to worry about unplanned pregnancy or remembering to take your birth control again.
How Essure Works
The Essure procedure is surgery-free and can be performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office with no slowing down to recover. Most women go home within 45 minutes and return to normal activities in less than a day.
Essure is just three simple steps:
1 – THE PROCEDURE
A doctor places the small, soft Essure inserts into your fallopian tubes through the natural pathways of your vagina and cervix, so no incision is necessary. The Essure inserts are made from the same trusted material that is used and proven to be safe in heart stents and hundreds of other medical devices. The material is flexible, so it slides easily into each fallopian tube and conforms to their shape.
2 – THE BARRIER
Over the next three months, your body works with the Essure inserts to form a natural barrier within your fallopian tubes. This barrier prevents sperm from reaching the egg so that pregnancy cannot occur. During this three-month period, you must continue to use another form of birth control.
3 – THE CONFIRMATION
The Essure Confirmation Test will provide you with the confidence that you are protected from unplanned pregnancy. This simple test is given three months after your procedure. During the test, a special dye is introduced into your uterus and viewed on an x-ray so your doctor can confirm that the Essure inserts are in place and your fallopian tubes are fully blocked. Once you receive this verification from your doctor, you can rely on Essure for permanent birth control.
The Essure Confirmation Test
Since 2002, over half a million women have found peace of mind with Essure permanent birth control. One reason is the Essure Confirmation Test. This simple test provides you with the confidence that you are protected from unplanned pregnancy forever.
The Essure Confirmation Test is performed three months after your Essure procedure and usually takes about 30 minutes. During the test, a special dye is introduced into your uterus. Using an x-ray, a doctor can verify that the inserts have been correctly placed and fluid cannot flow past them. This confirms that your tubes are completely blocked and you can rely on Essure as your sole form of birth control.
Your doctor will discuss the results of your Essure Confirmation Test with you as soon as they are available, usually on the day of your test. Until you receive confirmation directly from your doctor, you must continue to use another form of birth control. After that, you can start enjoying the freedom that comes from never worrying about unplanned pregnancy again.
When you know your family is complete, you’re ready to consider permanent birth control. More and more women like you are making the decision to have the Essure procedure to prevent unplanned pregnancy so they can fully enjoy the lives they have built for themselves. They’re choosing lives without hormones or the hassle of other birth control methods, and the confidence of knowing that they are protected from unplanned pregnancy forever.
Essure may be right for you if you:
- Are certain you do not want any more children
- Want to stop worrying about unplanned pregnancy forever
- Want the most effective permanent birth control available
- Want to avoid surgery, scarring, silicone or risks of other permanent birth control procedures
- Want to avoid the inconvenience of temporary birth control methods
- Are concerned about the negative effects of hormone-based birth control
- Want a procedure that can be performed in the convenience of your doctor’s office
- Want more spontaneity in your sexual relationship
- Want confirmation that you’re protected from unplanned pregnancy
- Are pregnant and considering a tubal ligation
You should delay your decision if you:
- May want to have children in the future
- Have an active or recent pelvic infection
If you are interested in Essure, please contact our offices to make an appointment.